Are you broke? Is it the last days of the month and you are left with a handful of resources? But then you log onto the social media sites while scrolling through the timeline you notice that your colleagues and friends are enjoying their vacations in some place out of town. Did you feel jealous? You think, all you can do right now with a small bank balance is like the pictures and go on a virtual tour to someplace? Well, guess what? You don’t have to feel sorry for yourself because in India budget travelling is possible and it is not just limited to one part but throughout the country, you can find several places both offbeat and popular that can be done on a low budget. So, smile now, and go through this blog which gives you some of the best destinations in India around metropolitan cities to plan a cheap trip.
Best Weekend Getaways from Delhi
A really colorful hill station that offers some breathtaking views, Mcleod Ganj is 448 km from Delhi and is amongst those few destinations that can be done even if you are broke. Being a quiet place, Mcleod Ganj has earned its name for giving mind peace. No motor sound, no vendor shouting or howling to sell their products. Well, it would not be wrong if we say that this is one of the hill stations that will give you so much peace that you would stop worrying about life for some time. Known as the second resident of his Holiness Dalai Lama, Mcleod Ganj is also home to ancient Tibetan culture and the modern cafe culture where services are affordable. Here, in this beautiful hill station of Himachal Pradesh, you don’t have to splurge to find accommodation, food or for that some good time. Everything comes at a price that fits your budget just right.
Few of the popular attractions that you can visit are:
- Bhagsu Falls
- Triund Hill
- Dal Lake
- Tibetan Museum
- Kalachakra Temple
Cost: Now if you are wondering how much will all this cost you then let me tell you that a trip to Mcleod Ganj is cheaper than you think.
- Transportation: The cheapest mode of transportation is bus which will cost you INR 1000 (Return journey)
- Lodging: INR 150 – INR 500 per night. You can save this money if you have your own tent.
- Fooding: INR 300 – 700 INR per day
“A taste of royalty, in the budget,” wondering what I mean by this statement? Jaisalmer, which is one of the gems of Rajasthan, injects a never-ending excitement to visit the forts and temples located here. Everything has a price, true! But it does not necessarily have to be exorbitant. Experiencing a thing for this place already? Then do not hesitate to plan a trip here, even if you are budget is low because Jaisalmer embraces you with less cost of accommodation, low train fares as well as affordable food charges.
- Jaisalmer Fort or Sonar Quila
- Jaisalmer government museum
- Nathmal Ji ki Haveli
- Mandir Palace
- Jain temples of Jaisalmer
- Gadisar Lake and much more.
Cost: Your trip from Delhi to Jaisalmer needs no thinking. All you need to have is time, energy and a few bucks.
- Transportation:The cheapest and the most convenient way to travel from Delhi to Jaisalmer is by an overnight train which will cost you 440 (Sleeper Class) for one side.
- Lodging:One can find rooms at a low cost of just 500- 1000 INR.
- Fooding:Fooding will cost you not more than 200 – 600 INR Per day.
Be it your first time or your second, this place will always make you fall in love with it. The best part is, you won’t be able to resist yourself from falling for this place. There is a rapid increase in the number of backpackers and explorers who are visiting Kasol every year, which beckons that place is going to quite light on one’s pocket. Kasol is a picturesque village in Kullu stretched along river Parvati. Treks and threads join many other important and popular places around Kasol which are equally exciting to be and give you a full dose of adrenaline rush.
- Sar Pass
- Yanker Pass
- Pin Parbati Pass
- Transportation: There are no direct buses to Kasol so you will have to de-board at Bhuntar. The fare from Kashmiri Gate to Bhuntar in a Non AC Himachal Roadways will cost you 500 INR from one side. Then from Bhuntar, you can take a local bus which will give you a bumpy ride to Kasol but it will just cost you INR 50.
- Lodging: Rooms are cheap enough and will cost you just INR 500-700.
- Fooding: If you choose to survive on street food or fast food, it will be 150-200 per meal.
Book Weekend Getaways from Bengaluru
From, boasting about the historical monuments to cycling amidst dramatic landscape, Hampi which is 356 km from Bangalore can be the perfect hideout for your budget weekend plan. You can enjoy visiting the ruins of temples and palaces and the machans which will give you a great experience. Being one of the ancient places, Hampi is a must visit place, and it will ignite your urge to be here more when you will know that it is not harsh in your pocket if you are planning a trip to this place from Bengaluru.
- Vithala Temple Complex
- Virupaksha Temple
- Sanapur Lake
- Elephant Stables
- Daroji Bear Sanctuary
- Queen’s Bath
- Transportation: The cheapest and the best way to reach Hampi is via train. From Bengaluru, you will have to deboard at Hospet. This will cost you 150 INR each side in Sleeper Class. From Hospet, you will have to take a bus to Hampi which will cost you INR 20-40.
- Lodging: One can get accommodated in homestays and guest houses at a dirt cheap price of under INR 500-600 in Hampi.
- Fooding: All three meals put together will be just under 600 INR.
If you feel in your heart that you direly need a break from all the hustle and bustle of your city life, then you strictly need a quiet place to rejuvenate and energize yourself. But then if you feel splurging for this is not a good option then think again because Kodaikanal can provide you an amazing trip without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Kodaikanal Lake
- Pine Forest
- Berijam Lake
- Pillar Rocks
- Kurinji Andavar Temple
- Transportation: The round trip in the bus will be near about 650-700 INR from Bangalore.
- Lodging: Accommodation will cost 500-1000 per day in a guesthouse.
- Fooding: Street food is delightful which starts from just 100/ plate of fried chicken with rice which is enough for one person.
Alleppey which is known as the Venice of the East is famous for the verdant countryside, lagoons, and its waterways. It is the best place to cruise lazily around in the ever-present houseboats and get your hands on the tasty delicious coconut-laced seafood. Alleppey is known to be loaded with a lot of beauty and it is 594 km Bangalore. This is one of those places which is high on enjoyment and cheap on budget.
- Transportation: The best and the cheapest way to reach Alleppey from Bangalore is via train for which you will have to pay not more than 400 INR (from one side) in Sleeper Class.
- Lodging: Homestays, Resorts, Hotels will cost you between INR 300 and 900.
- Fooding: If you want to keep the trip in the low budget then you can eat street food which is delicious and hygienic and just INR 150-200/ meal.
Best Weekend Getaways from Mumbai
Being an offbeat destination, Savarkut is a peaceful and a beautiful place. Just because there are fewer inhabitants here, the place is tidy, clean and joy to be. Moreover, there are many organizations that give you packages, inclusive of all adventurous activities and accommodation at quite a reasonable price that you will not be able to resist yourself from. With sports like white water rafting in Vitarna which is about 11 km stretch from Savarkut Village and ends at Dhapura this place invites the adventure junkies for lots of thrills and enjoyment. Apart from the rafting activities like rappelling, kayaking, promises a unique and offbeat experience to its visitors in the Vaitarna river. Just because Savarkut is an offbeat destination, you just have to book a cab to cover a distance of 130 km from Mumbai.
- Transportation: The best way to be here is by going via cabs or taxis. You can hire a cab for 1000-1500 INR to this place.
- Lodging & Fooding: To make it a cheap trip you can go for the packages provided there, for a 2 day stay you will be charged INR 3000 including camping, food, rafting.
Sometimes all you would want is a break, especially on a weekend, where you cannot stand to be in the city. Then, the plan of visiting an offbeat place comes to one’s mind. The best thing about an offbeat destination is always cost slightly less than a popular one. If you are around Mumbai, Maval is a place where you can expect a budget offbeat holiday. Maval is a village, which is just 87 km from Mumbai and is a perfect getaway. It is nestled between the Sahyadri Range and the Takve Lake and offers several trekking trails as well as some other adventure activities like kayaking, river-crossing, and rappelling. Moreover, if you plan to go for a vacation to this place, all you need will be is time, of course, some money as well but the trip will be low budget.
- Transportation: The best way to reach Maval is by hiring a cab which will cost 750 INR from one side. You can split the bills among friends.
- Lodging: There are many budget hotels ranging between 500-1000 INR. Splitting the bill again can make things very much cheap for you.
- Fooding: Maharashtra is famous for its street food and fast food. Obviously, it would not cost you much.
About 76 km South of Mumbai city is a village named as Durshet, which flaunts the beautiful greenery in its vicinity. There are abundant options for nature trails and treks in this region and this is not it. For those who want to enjoy the adventure activity of rappelling can go for it in the near Amba Waterfall. The best part is, most of the experiences in Durshet come free, which somehow balances everything when you plan a trip to this place by cab as well.
- Transportation: Durshet is also not far away from Mumbai, you can hire a cab which will be cheap.
- Lodging: The hotels will cost not more than 1000 per night.
- Fooding: You can help yourself with the street food which is delicious and cheap.
Best Weekend Getaways from Chennai
Not just one, there are many prominent reasons that can steer a person to celebrate their time in Pondicherry. Along with the beautiful beaches, Pondy also boasts its elegant French architecture. Pondicherry is also known for its nightlife and what makes it more happening is the cheap alcohol. So, for those who want to get hell drunk, there is no better place. There is one more thing apart from alcohol and that is exploring the city on a bicycle. Most of the time, a lot of money gets utilized in visiting the locale of the place you are in. But in Pondy, you can hire bicycle and roam around in the pleasant weather.
Popular spots to visit:
- Paradise Beach
- Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- Serenity Beach
- Eglise de Notre Dame des Anges
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral
- Transportation: Travelling in a train from Chennai to Pondicherry is quite comfortable and cheap. A Chair Car costs 335 INR, and 170 in Sleeper for one side.
- Lodging: Pondicherry has many mid-range and budget hotels that range between 1000 – 2000 INR.
- Fooding: Street food is tasty and cheap costing under 200/ meal. ( I suppose you will miss out on a meal or two because you will be too drunk to have something).
Haven’t heard of it? Well, it is because the destination is still offbeat. Due to less number of people visiting this place Kolli Hills will give the best taste of utter peacefulness. From the coffee and spice plantations to the emerald valleys accompanied by the dark hills and the cool weather, this destination is one of a kind and you must plan your trip, as all the amazing experiences here can be availed at a very less cost.
Popular places to be, when in Kolli Hills:
- Agaya Gangai Waterfalls
- Arpaleeshwar Temple
- Masila Falls
- Kolli Hills Boat House
- Transportation: The best way to reach Kolli hills is via road through NH 45. You will have to take a bus from Chennai to Salem and from there you will get a local bus to Kolli hills. This all will be worth of 250 INR from one side.
- Lodging: Due to less civilization in this place budget hotels are easily available starting at 400 INR.
- Fooding: Each meal will cost you between INR 150 and 200.
One of the holiest places according to the Hindu Mythology, Rameshwaram according to legend is the point of conjunction where Lord Rama built a bridge to Lanka to save his consort, Sita. It is also one of the Char Dhams and is known for the largest temple corridor of the Ramanathaswamy temple. While on this corridor people tend to stay there for a while and enjoy the cool breeze and light splash of water. Rameswaram can easily be a cheap trip from Chennai, as the distance is less and the conveyance, accommodation and the food are quite affordable here.
Places to visit:
- Ramanathaswamy Temple
- Dhanushkodi Beach
- Pamban bridge
- Rama Setu
- Hanuman Temple
- Transportation: Rameshwaram is well connected to Chennai via road. There are many state buses which will cost you INR 200-300 to take you to your destination.
- Fooding & Lodging: Rameshwaram has many hotels that can fit into your budgets, costing between INR 1500-3000 including the food.
Best Weekend Getaways from Kolkata
Being a coastal resort town, Digha is quite popular in West Bengal. Digha’s beaches, it’s delicious seafood and its proximity to Kolkata make it one of the most popular weekend getaways from Kolkata and for good reasons. Therefore with an infectious vibe Digha is the perfect destination for a short break that can be arranged on a low budget.
Popular Tourist Attractions:
- Talseri Beach
- Shankarpur Beach
- Chandaneswar Temple
- Marine Aquarium
- Bat Tola Market
- Transportation: Travelling in a bus from Kolkata to Digha is cheap enough costing INR 125 from one side.
- Fooding & Lodging: There are budget hotels in this place which will give you all the comfort in just INR 600-1000 including the food.
Located in the northernmost part of the state of West Bengal, Darjeeling is a beautiful hill station that gives a refreshing break to all the people who go there for vacations. The place is famous for its large tea estates and the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. Apart from attractions like Buddhist Monastery and Himalayan Zoo, this hill station is well known for sports like trekking, mountain climbing, and mountain biking. The best part is, Darjeeling is really high on enjoyment and low on budget.
- Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park
- Japanese Peace Pagoda
- Mahakal Temple
- Batasia Loop
- Tiger Hill
- Tea Garden
- Transportation: If you choose to travel by train which indeed is the best comfortable way, you will have to take a train from Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri giving a fare of just INR 350 and from New Jalpaiguri, show some of your bargaining skills to get a sharing auto costing INR 100-200 for a trip to Darjeeling (one side).
- Lodging & Fooding: Darjeeling has well-equipped hotels that are geared up for budget travellers too. Approximately INR 1000-2000 inclusive of 3 meals can be obtained here.
Kurseong is also a hill station in West Bengal just like Darjeeling, but this one is a bit less commercialized. The narrow roads of this place are utterly elegant with a lot of natural beauty on both sides. The town is also blessed with a vivid natural beauty and the ambiance is quiet, clean and perfect for a short and a cheap vacation.
- Tea Garden
- Eagle’s Craig
- Forest Museum
- Deer Park
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Museum
- Transportation: From Kolkata, you can take a train to New Jalpaiguri at INR 350 and from there you can hire a cab. Obviously, it will be a bit costly but not if you pool it with others. It will cut down the rates to minimal.
- Lodging: It is a less commercialized place so you can find budget hotels ranging between INR 600 and 1500.
- Fooding: INR 300 will be the cost of the food on an average per day.
These are 15 cheap destinations in India around the major cities that are a breather after a hauling week. If you want to know more about the ways to make your trip comfortable and thrilling in India that too in low budget, you can call us on +91 9212553106 or drop a mail to us at email@example.com. We at Tour My India can offer you the best budget holiday package to make your weekend holiday an incredible one!